ahhNatural is a self correcting water care product. 85% of water issues, if given a day off, clean filters and increased circulation will clear out in 24 hours. For those other times or when you want faster recovery here are some choices available to you. If you choose to do a shock test your water and when the Chlorine or MPS reads zero you can bathe chemical free again.
There are 2 major reasons to shock your spa water.
1. Remove organics that rise due to infrequent use or if you use your tub often or you have had more than 3-4 people for an extended soak. Removing these organics sooner than later is a must.
2. Killing bacteria, algae and mold. All 3 of these can hitch hike their way into your water by bather or wind and fester. If you suspect any of these to be present, you must do a shock quickly. If you smell rotting lettuce or a fish tank odor– DO NOT BATHE.
Bleach as a hot tub shock
Bleach is our #1 choice if you want to bathe chemical free faster. We love this because it is designed to evaporate quickly which means it will do the job and leave. Choose non-scented and without additives. Household bleach will raise the pH level because it has a very high pH of 13. We like this method because it is designed to evaporate very fast which allows you to bathe sooner. Some customers with water balancing challenges may find it easier to use chlorine granules or non-chlorine shock (MPS), which are more pH neutral.
HOW TO: Add 1/2 Cup per 100 gallons or Test the water with a chlorine test kit will to determine the proper amount, raise the level to 10 ppm.
Chlorine vrs Non-chlorine shock
Both treatments are strong oxidizers. They should not be used often because they are hard on the plumbing and leave residuals.
The best time to use CHLORINE is after a hot tub party when the tub is super trashed. It's also recommended on using this if the tub has been sitting unused with gross water in the plumbing and all kinds of nasty could be festering.
The best time to use Non-Chlorine shock is to clear up slightly cloudy water or once a month to keep the body organics from compounding. This is a heavy duty oxidizer and will not kill bacteria
How to shock your tub
1. To assure the shocks are effective balance your ph to 7.2 to 7.4
2. Open your cover so the shock can off-gas
3. Turn on all jets air on low
4. Add the specifed amount of shock for your volume of water
5. Circulate for 1 hour
6. Turn air on - circulate for 20 min
7. Water should be clear by morning
Peroxide is not a shock
3% peroxide is a mild oxidizer used on a regular basis along with the ahhNatural mineral bag to reduce the need to shock your water.
The important thing is to know the root cause of the issue. If a pattern occurs you may have a deeper issue such as white water mold or algae. Take photo and send detailed informations to Jane.